Have you ever heard about laser dentistry or laser dental treatment? In laser dental treatment, a laser is used for the treatment of different dental problems. It was initially used by the dentists in 1989.
If you are afraid of dental procedures involving drills or other such tools, laser dentistry is the most suitable option for you. Laser dental treatment is more favourable for procedures involving tissues. LASER means ‘light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.’ Dentists use this technology to concentrate the emanating energy in a narrow beam. When the laser light is focused on the tissue, it either changes the shape of the tissue or removes it altogether. Laser dental treatment has been used in numerous dental procedures such as:
- For treating gum disease
- For treating hypersensitivity
- For treating tooth decay
- For teeth whitening
With the help of lasers, dentists can carry out dental procedures efficiently and effectively. Lasers make dental procedures time-effective and comfortable for the individuals. Laser dentistry has even been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Safety Aspects of Laser Dentistry
Laser dentistry deals with two kinds of dental procedures namely:
- Hard tissue also knows as teeth
- Soft tissue also knows as gums.
Hard tissue procedure consists of the following:
- Laser dentistry is used for detecting cavities. It helps in the early detection of cavities by finding signs or symptoms of tooth decay.
- Laser dentistry helps in getting rid of anaesthesia and drill procedures. Lasers kill the bacteria present in the cavity. The killing of bacteria protects the tooth from further decay or damage.
- Many people have sensitivity to either cold or hot food. Laser dentistry is the solution to sensitivity. Roots of the teeth are packed by the tubules. Once the tubules are sealed, the individual no longer feels the sensation in the teeth upon eating hot or cold food item.
Common tissue procedure consists of the following:
- In case, you have a gummy smile, lasers can reshape your gum tissue.
- Laser dentistry is effective for crown lengthening. The laser changes the shape of bone and gum tissues. This paves the way for solid tooth structure, making it easy to place restorations on the tooth.
- If you or your child has restricted frenulum, worry no more. Laser frenectomy deals with the restricted frenulum.
- If your denture has not been fitted properly, it can be a constant source of pain and discomfort. Dentists use lasers to remove tissues from the improperly placed dentures.
There are other procedures associated with the use of laser. They are mentioned as follows:
- Dentists can look inside the tooth or gum tissue of an individual.
- Removing a benign tumour present in the mouth can be painful. Laser dentistry enables easy removal of benign tumours from the places such as sides of cheeks, gums etc.
- When a tissue overgrows in the throat, it results in constricted breathing. It can lead to the development of sleep apnea. Lasers can change the shape of throat enabling proper breathing. You can get rid of sleep apnea in no time.
- If you think twice before climbing stairs due to the pain or inflammations in the joint, laser dentistry can come to your rescue.
- Lasers can help in regeneration of damaged nerved or blood vessels.
- Cold sores can be painful. Lasers assist in reducing pain.
- Teeth whitening can be time-consuming. Bleaching process takes a huge chunk of time. Lasers expedite the bleaching process.
Cost of the laser treatments depends on various factors like dental procedure, equipment etc. When it comes to non-laser treatments, they are comparatively cheaper.
The laser used in the dental procedure is of two types mainly:
- Soft tissue laser- It is used for treating periodontitis. It seals blood vessels. It helps in speedier recovery of the tissue. Many individuals experience negligible pain in soft tissue laser treatment.
- Hard tissue laser- It is mostly used for repairing dental fillings, removal of tooth structures, etc.
Benefits of using laser dental treatment are as follows:
- Soft tissue lasers lower the need for sutures.
- Use of soft tissue laser results in blood clotting. This minimizes bleeding.
- Use of anaesthesia becomes inessential due to lasers.
- During laser dental treatment, laser sterilizes the area due to which it becomes less prone to bacterial infection.
- Regeneration of tissue becomes possible and lasers enable wounds to recover faster.
- During laser dental treatment, surrounding tissues in the area get less damaged.
You have to be cautious while choosing a dentist to perform laser dental treatment. If he is unqualified, he may end up using the wrong power level or wavelength that has the potential to destroy tissues in the focused and surrounding area. In case, you are going for the laser dental treatment, ask your dentist to supply you with eyeglasses to protect them from the harmful radiation.
Certain control measures have to be adopted to protect the patient and dentist from the exposure to radiation. These control measures are mentioned as follows:
- Engineering Controls- These controls are present inside the equipment to ensure safety. These controls are present in the form of interlocks, beams and enclosures. They are effective at reducing the risks of hazards to a great extent.
- Personal protective equipment-This ensures that people using present in the room while the laser dental treatment is taking place should wear eye protection.
- Administrative and procedural controls-In cases where a patient has been administered anaesthesia, a red rubber tube should instead of standard P.V.C intubation tube.
- Environmental controls- To evaluate the risk of environmental hazards, the following three aspects need to be considered:
- The physical environment in which laser technology is put to use.
- Level of harm that can be caused if one comes in direct contact with the laser beam.
- Level of training a person has undergone and the knowledge he is equipped with to handle laser technology.
If you need a laser dental treatment in Kochi, look for a highly professional and experienced dentist like Dr Sampreet. Ask him the risks factors associated with the treatment, if any. Evaluate your options and choose accordingly.