You follow a ‘proper’ dental hygiene regime. Brush your teeth, once in the morning, and maybe at night too. You do not have visible signs of dental caries or tooth decay. And you think your teeth are fine. Well, you are not alone; most of us believe that brushing once or twice a day is enough to maintain optimum dental health. How wrong we are.
A smile can brighten your face like no other accessory. You will agree that there is some truth in the statement. A beautiful set of pearly whites, can enhance a smile and add a certain sparkle to personality. However, not everyone is blessed with perfectly aligned teeth.
Do you know that sensation of being so parched that your lips, tongue and mouth go absolutely dry? Well, dry mouth is the same feeling; the only thing is that it is a constant feeling. Dry mouth, known as xerostomia in medical terminology, is a condition wherein the salivary glands do not produce sufficient saliva. The mouth remains dry and brings with it many complications.
India has transcended from the stereotypical image it carried, of a nation of ancient temples, fiery hot cuisine and not to forget the elephants and the maharajas. These remain part of our rich heritage, and they are something that we are immensely proud of, but there is more to India than her culture and history. Continue reading “Why Choose India for Dental Tourism?”
Tooth discolouration is among the most common of dental problems. Teeth become discoloured easily, and there are many reasons for stains to appear on teeth. For instance, strong dyes naturally present in everyday foods can cause the teeth to become discoloured. Other reasons include poor dental hygiene, use of tobacco, specific medication and diseases, age, excessive intake of fluoride and injury. Continue reading “Tooth discolouration: Reasons, Prevention and Treatment”
Dentists use tooth fillings to replace the decayed parts in infected teeth and to avoid the infection and from spreading. That, of course, is the primary purpose; the other is to ease the pain and discomfort that the patient might be experiencing due to the decay. Dentists usually remove the decayed section, by drilling it out – it is the more traditional way of doing it. However, the best dentist in Ernakulam uses newer, sophisticated technology such as air abrasion or a laser, to remove the decayed parts. These techniques are nearly painless and more precise. A dentist may also use special gels to dissolve the infected tissue. Continue reading “Things You Should Know Before Getting a Tooth Filling”
Teeth sensitivity is also known as ‘dentin hypersensitivity’, and it can cause shooting pain, which goes right down the affected tooth/teeth. The condition can cause severe discomfort and be extremely painful. Foods and drinks that you have had all your life can also trigger an episode. A glass of cold water, a hot beverage or soup, ice cream, sweets, and chocolates, to name a few, can all cause tooth sensitivity. In severe cases, chewing on regular food can cause the tooth to ache. Continue reading “Teeth Sensitivity: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments”
Wisdom teeth refer to the third and last molars on each side of the lower and upper jaws. As wisdom teeth are the last permanent teeth that emerge or come in, there is often insufficient space left in your mouth to accommodate them. This can cause the wisdom teeth to be trapped beneath the gum tissues by other bone or teeth and cause them to be impacted which can lead to tenderness and swelling. Continue reading “Things You Should Know About Wisdom Teeth Pain and Extraction”
Have you ever heard about laser dentistry or laser dental treatment? In laser dental treatment, a laser is used for the treatment of different dental problems. It was initially used by the dentists in 1989.
If you are afraid of dental procedures involving drills or other such tools, laser dentistry is the most suitable option for you. Laser dental treatment is more favourable for procedures involving tissues. LASER means ‘light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.’ Dentists use this technology to concentrate the emanating energy in a narrow beam. When the laser light is focused on the tissue, it either changes the shape of the tissue or removes it altogether. Laser dental treatment has been used in numerous dental procedures such as:
- For treating gum disease
- For treating hypersensitivity
- For treating tooth decay
- For teeth whitening
With the help of lasers, dentists can carry out dental procedures efficiently and effectively. Lasers make dental procedures time-effective and comfortable for the individuals. Laser dentistry has even been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Safety Aspects of Laser Dentistry
Laser dentistry deals with two kinds of dental procedures namely:
- Hard tissue also knows as teeth
- Soft tissue also knows as gums.
Hard tissue procedure consists of the following:
- Laser dentistry is used for detecting cavities. It helps in the early detection of cavities by finding signs or symptoms of tooth decay.
- Laser dentistry helps in getting rid of anaesthesia and drill procedures. Lasers kill the bacteria present in the cavity. The killing of bacteria protects the tooth from further decay or damage.
- Many people have sensitivity to either cold or hot food. Laser dentistry is the solution to sensitivity. Roots of the teeth are packed by the tubules. Once the tubules are sealed, the individual no longer feels the sensation in the teeth upon eating hot or cold food item.
Common tissue procedure consists of the following:
- In case, you have a gummy smile, lasers can reshape your gum tissue.
- Laser dentistry is effective for crown lengthening. The laser changes the shape of bone and gum tissues. This paves the way for solid tooth structure, making it easy to place restorations on the tooth.
- If you or your child has restricted frenulum, worry no more. Laser frenectomy deals with the restricted frenulum.
- If your denture has not been fitted properly, it can be a constant source of pain and discomfort. Dentists use lasers to remove tissues from the improperly placed dentures.
There are other procedures associated with the use of laser. They are mentioned as follows:
- Dentists can look inside the tooth or gum tissue of an individual.
- Removing a benign tumour present in the mouth can be painful. Laser dentistry enables easy removal of benign tumours from the places such as sides of cheeks, gums etc.
- When a tissue overgrows in the throat, it results in constricted breathing. It can lead to the development of sleep apnea. Lasers can change the shape of throat enabling proper breathing. You can get rid of sleep apnea in no time.
- If you think twice before climbing stairs due to the pain or inflammations in the joint, laser dentistry can come to your rescue.
- Lasers can help in regeneration of damaged nerved or blood vessels.
- Cold sores can be painful. Lasers assist in reducing pain.
- Teeth whitening can be time-consuming. Bleaching process takes a huge chunk of time. Lasers expedite the bleaching process.
Cost of the laser treatments depends on various factors like dental procedure, equipment etc. When it comes to non-laser treatments, they are comparatively cheaper.
The laser used in the dental procedure is of two types mainly:
- Soft tissue laser- It is used for treating periodontitis. It seals blood vessels. It helps in speedier recovery of the tissue. Many individuals experience negligible pain in soft tissue laser treatment.
- Hard tissue laser- It is mostly used for repairing dental fillings, removal of tooth structures, etc.
Benefits of using laser dental treatment are as follows:
- Soft tissue lasers lower the need for sutures.
- Use of soft tissue laser results in blood clotting. This minimizes bleeding.
- Use of anaesthesia becomes inessential due to lasers.
- During laser dental treatment, laser sterilizes the area due to which it becomes less prone to bacterial infection.
- Regeneration of tissue becomes possible and lasers enable wounds to recover faster.
- During laser dental treatment, surrounding tissues in the area get less damaged.
You have to be cautious while choosing a dentist to perform laser dental treatment. If he is unqualified, he may end up using the wrong power level or wavelength that has the potential to destroy tissues in the focused and surrounding area. In case, you are going for the laser dental treatment, ask your dentist to supply you with eyeglasses to protect them from the harmful radiation.
Certain control measures have to be adopted to protect the patient and dentist from the exposure to radiation. These control measures are mentioned as follows:
- Engineering Controls- These controls are present inside the equipment to ensure safety. These controls are present in the form of interlocks, beams and enclosures. They are effective at reducing the risks of hazards to a great extent.
- Personal protective equipment-This ensures that people using present in the room while the laser dental treatment is taking place should wear eye protection.
- Administrative and procedural controls-In cases where a patient has been administered anaesthesia, a red rubber tube should instead of standard P.V.C intubation tube.
- Environmental controls- To evaluate the risk of environmental hazards, the following three aspects need to be considered:
- The physical environment in which laser technology is put to use.
- Level of harm that can be caused if one comes in direct contact with the laser beam.
- Level of training a person has undergone and the knowledge he is equipped with to handle laser technology.
If you need a laser dental treatment in Kochi, look for a highly professional and experienced dentist like Dr Sampreet. Ask him the risks factors associated with the treatment, if any. Evaluate your options and choose accordingly.
In the early days, extraction was the most preferred form of dental treatment. But what after that? After extraction there is bone resorption, the adjacent teeth would fall into the space and create more problems than it solves – Spacing in teeth, Movement and Loosening of the remaining teeth, Change in facial features etc.
So the next step is to opt for a bridge. A bridge ensures that the remaining teeth remain in position. Unfortunately, a bridge suffers two major drawbacks:
1. It compromises the integrity of the two adjacent teeth
2. It does not stop bone resorption
Research in Dental Sciences has witnessed extensive changes over the last few years. Dentistry today has evolved to replace your tooth in a manner so as to not only preserve the natural look but also provide an equal function. The difference to an outsider is absolutely discernible.
This treatment modality is called a Dental Implant. A dental implant is a perfect substitute for your original tooth as it preserves the original bone structure (of course only if done in time)
How do Dental Implants Work?
Dentists recommend that oral surgery of dental implant should be conducted only when the person has healthy gums and strong bone support. It all begins with a titanium base being inserted into the space earlier occupied by the natural tooth. Once that is done, time is given for the gums and bone to heal so as to provide the implant with a strong foundation (akin to that of a plant and root). This process is done under sedation so as to minimize the pain felt.
The second phase of surgery involves fixing a connector to the above-mentioned implant. The connector would then be used for mounting a ceramic crown (the ideal alternative of a natural tooth).
Even though the steps are over, you would need to regularly visit your dentist. Maintaining oral hygiene and paying heed to the dentist’s advice is essential for the success of the implant.
Dental Implants are expensive and also require a certain level of skill and understanding to place so try to research and select the best dentist and the best implantologist.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Even though dental implants procedure is long drawn and costs more than other related treatments, it has certain added advantages to it:
The best thing about the implant is that it looks and feels just like the natural tooth would without compromising on the strength and functionality.
The high success rate:
The process of dental implant treatment is time-consuming and demands a certain level of commitment from the patient. But the final result is worth the wait and trouble. Dentists state that the success rate of dental implants is far better than other tooth replacement alternatives. If you have well-maintained oral health, dental implant is the right choice for you. Furthermore, developments in the field of science and medicine have provided better techniques for this kind of oral surgery.
Though initially as is with any type of artificial fitment, dental implants too require time to adjust, once adjusted they became a part of your mouth. You will never find any distinction between the natural teeth and the dental implant. No discomfort or pain would be felt after a point of time.
Eat and chew better:
As mentioned earlier, dental implants are designed in a manner to provide you with the functionality of natural teeth. Regular visits to the dentist along with precautions will ensure that the implant is well-preserved. There would be no difference between the original and the replaced tooth. This way you will be able to consume everything your heart desires be it hard fruits.
Proper alignment of teeth without spacing is essential for clear speech. Spacing may cause difficulties in enunciation and thereby difficulty in understanding. Dental implants ensure that all teeth remain in their precise position. This ensures crystal clear diction without any kind of speech impairment.
Dental implants can be used even to place dentures. The positive aspect of this modality is that once the denture is placed you can take care of it like your normal teeth. You are never required to remove or fit it again. You will be saved from the embarrassments caused due to putting the tooth back in place or taking it out every once in a while. Thus, convenience is yet another benefit of the denture with dental implants.
- Reliable and durable:
Dental implants do require care and regular visits to the dentist. But once the implant settles, it will remain fixed forever. It becomes as reliable as the natural tooth you once used to have. No more sensitivity, no more enamel erosion, no more cavities (only for the implant, you still have to take care of the remaining teeth).
Overall Oral Health:
Single dental implant does not compromise on the integrity of other teeth. This means that there would be no alteration made to the neighbouring teeth. A new tooth would be fixed in place and your overall look will be maintained. You will be able to clean and brush your teeth properly. Thus, you will never face the danger of having a decayed tooth or other associated problems.
Dental implants fix artificial teeth and thus are not prone to slipping or moving. This eradicates the issues relating to the poor fit of teeth including irritation of gums and oral diseases caused due to it. You will be relieved of any kinds of oral issues for the rest of your life. Just don’t forget to take care of the implant.
People face problems in social situations with improper teeth. Dental implants while providing a natural look guarantees with a boost to the inner self-esteem too. You will be able to smile and talk comfortably with everyone around you. Social situations would never be unpleasing to you.
Why Opt Dental Implant?
Placement of dental implants is a highly technical process. This has evolved with time. Dentists are well-trained and are provided sufficient guidance to place implants in the patient’s mouth. It might seem that the risks involved are many- huge amounts of money, care and attention, regular visits to the dentists might be stressful. But as mentioned above, the advantages of dental implants are many. In an era where anything can be cured, why would you choose to suffer due to impaired teeth?
Dentists today recommend dental implants as the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Nowadays, anaesthetic or other sedatives are used to make patients feel comfortable and not feel any kind of pain. Yes, the healing time-period differs from person to person. It is based on the location of the dental implant as well as bone and gum health. It can range somewhere from five to six weeks to some months. But once that time phase is over, you will feel good again. Considering the merits of dental implants, most dentists recommend this treatment to their patients. especially with the success rate of 95-98% for dental implants.
If you are looking for the best dental treatments in Cochin, visit Dentique- The Dental Studio and be tension free of your oral issues. Find out if you are an ideal candidate for dental implants today. Call 8129688765 to talk to our resident implantologist.