Mr. Alan John arrived at our clinic with a peculiar problem. He had been to Russia for a couple of years. On his return, he started observing that his teeth had turned brittle. It shocked him when two of them broke unexpectedly.
This is actually not a peculiar case, in fact, a common one for those staying in cold countries. The weakening of teeth might have started during his tenure in Russia itself. However, the consequence was observed after reaching India only.
Calcium deficiency may cause the body to take it from bones and teeth. Eventually weakening those internally. The case is not limited to the residents of cold countries alone. The deficiency of nutrients can cause many different types of damage to teeth.
The food you consume will have an impact on your body and health. An unhealthy diet can lead to negative repercussions. Good nutrition is the key to a healthy life. What many do not realize is that good nutrition is vital for maintaining healthy teeth as well. It is not only a lax attitude in oral hygiene but also a lack of adequate nutrition that can lead to tooth decay and dental problems.
Do you want to know more about superfoods that can help you maintain healthy teeth? In this blog, Dentique Dental Clinic explains why you should include enough nutrition in your diet.
Why Should You Follow a Proper Diet?
Lack of nutrition can affect your oral health. Besides that, the food that you consume should not be harmful to the gums as well. You should prefer only the right food choices, because:
- Some types of food items can damage your teeth or gums
- Nutritious food can in turn help maintain healthy teeth
- Wrong food choices may trigger tooth decay
Better Avoid Wrong Food Items
Yes! Instead of strengthening your teeth, those can damage them. Avoiding wrong food choices is vital for maintaining your oral health. Some of the food preparations you must avoid include:
- Candies – Chewy candies or chocolates, especially, can turn problematic. The candy will stick to your teeth or get accumulated in the areas that are unreachable by brush. Eventually leading to tooth decay.
- Coffee, Tea, Alcohol – It may not be possible to get rid of these completely. Still, you can try and reduce the consumption. These items will leave stain marks on the teeth, which are difficult to remove.
- Smoking and Chewing Tobacco – There’s a no bigger enemy than tobacco! It will stain your teeth and cause damage. You must stop these habits at the earliest not only for your teeth but also for your overall health.
- Hard Candies and Hard Ice – Both can damage your enamel. Even if you consume these, always allow them to melt inside the mouth.
- Citrus Fruits – The acidic citrus fruits can damage the enamel on your teeth. Remember that brushing immediately after eating citrus fruits can damage the enamel.
Good Nutrition for Healthy Teeth
Eating right is the health mantra always. Selecting healthy and nutritious food items would keep your body free of illness and fit. Oral hygiene is necessary for maintaining healthy teeth, similar to physical activities for the body. Here are some of the food items that are good for healthy teeth.
Dairy products including cheese and yogurt contain calcium and protein. Both these nutrients are vital for strengthening your teeth. The health benefits of Cheese were studied by a National Health Mission. The study found out that consumption of cheese leads to an increase in pH level in the mouth. This is beneficial for reducing the possibility of tooth decay. Probiotic bacteria in yogurt and probiotic curd helps in expelling harmful bacteria from the mouth that can cause dental decay.
Leafy vegetables are unavoidable whenever you speak about a healthy diet. Leafy greens are the treasure of vitamins and minerals. You must consume an adequate quantity of such vegetables to maintain a healthy body and improve your dental. It has Calcium, Folic Acid, Vitamin B, etc, which are essential for a healthy body and eliminating various ailments.
Apple is advised for those having dental problems. Healthy fruit has several nutrients that are required for maintaining healthy teeth. It is good for stimulating the gums and expelling the damaging bacteria. Eating an apple after the meal will also help in removing the food remnants inside the mouth.
Fiber-rich carrot is also good for your teeth. Eat a piece of carrot after the meal, to improve saliva production and remove food remnants. Both these reduce the chances of tooth decay.
Celery leaves have Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Both these nutrients energize the gums and keep them healthy. Similar to carrots, this leafy vegetable cleans the oral area and removes the bacteria.
Take proper care of your teeth, follow dental hygiene and consume a healthy diet to keep a healthy oral condition. Consult a dentist periodically, to inspect the teeth, clean those and undertake preventive treatment if required.